Tuesday 4 August 2015

A crazy place called home… Back in BAires

We arrived back to Buenos Aires greeted by pouring rain and a power cut… home sweet home! I have just returned after a month in England, our first trip there since we moved to BA six months to the day yesterday.

It’s funny; I've felt pretty settled in BA, hadn’t really missed England, apart from family and friends of course... until we went to England. I’m sure many expats experience this when trying to make a life abroad - where do you call home?

A lodge with a view - Bath, England
When I touched ground at Heathrow airport, it felt like I had never been away. I guess five and a half months is too short for things to change noticeably. I got on the tube with my Oyster card as I used to, berated myself for going shopping district in Oxford Street and didn’t have to plan my conversation before I opened my mouth.

Supermarkets, what a treat

Even going to to shops such as Sainsbury's and Marks and Spencer were a treat… I could buy everything I needed, for decent quality all under one roof. I'm sorry, but now that I'm living abroad, British supermarkets really are among the best in the world. And don't get me started on toiletries at Boots.... I'm pining already. 

I also forget how clean England is, compared with a lot of places. I didn’t have to keep my eyes glued to the floor in case I stepped in something grim, and could admire the pretty English countryside.
  
The weather, unfortunately, was very English. It rained as much in England in July as it had during the whole five and half months I had been in BA. However, when it came to seeing friends and family, it was as if I had just left them five minutes ago. 

I had gone back for two wedding celebrations (my own admittedly). Therefore, I was surrounded by family, some of whom had come from exotic places such as Kenya, Dubai and Belgium as well as friends from various aspects of my life.

Life of a princess 

I was spoilt rotten. I felt like a princess - pampered, fed while my hands and feet were covered in intricate henna designs and was dressed in a total of four incredibly beautiful outfits. What more could a girl want or need… 

A handful of henna
Alas, it was a slightly heavy heart that I returned to BA. Not because I did not want to come back, but because of the thought that I may not see some people again, as in elderly relatives, or events that I’ll most certainly miss out on.

So while I returned to a damp BA, I must remember that sun will start to shine more brightly in BA than in England in the months ahead. And when I think about home, why limit myself to one home when I can have two.          

No comments:

Post a Comment